Friday, November 30, 2012

Discovering Rapid City...

 We woke up in the morning to this...it looks like rain, but it was snow flurries...which was actually a bit better to drive in than rain...but I guess it wasn't cold enough to stick...the temps that day were steady at between 32-34...so we put on an extra layer and jackets and went out to discover downtown Rapid City...
 We had passed this quilt shop a couple times in previous days...I knew I had to stop here...boy am I glad I did!! Iwas the cutest quilt shop I have ever been in!!
 It was actually a two story Queen Ann styled house and every room was it's own adventure! They were all themed with all the fabric and patterns to make all the items that were there...plus much much more!
 The owner designed all the patterns...Pearl Louise Designs...I loved them! They were all so cheerful...I bought several patterns...all the patterns were 25% off too...now that was a plus!! They had other patterns too...but I loved all of hers...isn't this little chandelier cute!
 I loved the little doll section...lots of patterns to make American Girl doll and children's clothes...precious baby items...and displayed so sweetly!
 Since it was still October...there were Halloween decorations to greet us as we walked in...and candy! Plus they offered us coffee or hot chocolate and had a nice comfy place for Don to sit and snack while I looked around...he even looked around...even Don was impressed!
 After we left the shop we headed towards downtown...we had read about life sized bronze statues of all the Presidents...so we decided that was something worth checking out...it was still snowing lightly as we wandered around...these statues were incredible...each one depicted the President in a way we probably think of them...I picked pictures of three I think were easily recognizable...yes...that FDR...if you look around the back you can see the braces on his legs...
 I loved this one of President Kennedy...
 And Thomas Jefferson signing the Declaration of Independence...very cool! After we finished getting all the pictures of all the Presidents...we had worked up an appetite...so we found a place for lunch that looked like fun...
 The Dakota Soda Company is right downtown...and looks like a 50's diner...the menu was on a giant chalkboard...this way they can change the menu daily...we decided on soup and sandwiches...it was cold...soup sounded good...
 But of course we had to have a taste of the frozen custard...we have frozen yogurt here...now this was a real treat! It was Cherry and not just the cherry flavor...there were huge pieces of fresh cherries in every bite! Top with freshly whipped cream and a few sprinkles...YUM! How I wish I had some right now!!
It was getting colder...we were getting wetter... so we thought we'd stop for a few snacks for the night...this car in front of us pretty much sums up western South Dakota...they have it all...in case you can't tell what every thing is there...kayak, snow boards, bikes,and  fishing poles . We headed back to the hotel ordered in some Chinese food...and went to the hotel social...another great day in South Dakota!
Until next time...enjoy your day!!!

9 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

That quilt shop looks so cute! I love that bed display. So funny how we can still eat frozen custard in a snow storm :) haha!

Michelle said...

I would have loved that quilt shop as well.

Olive said...

You two are having the best time. Loved the quilts.

Anonymous said...

oh i really love that patchwork shop,lovely pics,thankyou for sharing Linda.xx

Siobhán said...

That looks like such a fun town. I love the statues--how neat! The quilt shop looks like it is amazing.

Angela said...

Looks like a fun town! I love that bed in the quilt shop!
Have a blast!
Angi

Lottie said...

I love that quilt shop! Beautiful pictures!

Sue said...

Ooo...travel pictures from someplace I've never been. Your weather doesn't look like much fun, but the town certainly does. You must have loved that shop and the president statues are wonderful. I love the Kennedy one.

Beverly said...

I imagine the snow on your trip was a nice surprise. The first snow is always the best...before it gets messy. Beautiful pictures of the badland with a covering of white.
Cute quilt shop. I too loved the dolls and clothes. Those dolls look so old fashioned.