Thursday, November 29, 2012

Deadwood, South Dakota....

 Sorry tp be gone so long...blogger has been a pain...it seems I have to pay because I post too many large pictures...oh well...I decided if I can't post the way I want...why bother...it's not really that much...but another reason for my continued absence is my Etsy shop...Christmas shoppers have been good to me this year and I have had challenges keeping up...no complaints here...the doll carriers I started making last Spring have been incredible sellers...WHO KNEW?? Anyway...back to my trip...we left Wyoming and headed back to South Dakota...our destination was Deadwood...
 Theweather was a bit rainy and then cloudy...wonderful we thought...
 We met a few more friends on the way...we laugh because the deer always seem to pose for us...not quite sure if I scare them and they stand so still out of fear...our they are just checking me out too! A little of both I suppose...I don't have deer in my neck of the woods...only in the mountains which are a 15 minute drive...and rarely do I see them there...so I am fascinated by seeing so many!
 It was a pretty drive...still quite a bit of color here in western South Dakota... 

 Deadwood is up higher in the hills...I call them hills because where I am from...these are hills...the elevation is about 4500 feet...these rugged hillsides remind me of home...
 Dead wood was a bit of a disappointment I thought...not much happening here...I expected a little more of the atmosphere we found in Tombstone, AZ...nice old buildings...but we didn't find a lot of the history we were searching for...maybe we looked in the wrong places...maybe it was the season...don't know...I just knew that Wild Bill Hitchcock was shot here...and Calamity Jane spent time here...thought I'd find something more about that. 
 We walked all around...it wasn't hard...its small...ate a nice lunch...lost $20 in a slot machine faster than I could believe...that's about it...I'm glad we saw it though...I love seeing as much as I can when I travel...
As we headed back to our hotel in Rapid City we heard on the radio that snow was on the way...REALLY?? Snow in October?? More excitement for us though...stay tuned for more of our adventures...
Until next time...enjoy your day!!!

7 comments:

Christine said...

The picture of the deer is so pretty and they do seem to be posing so nicely for you!!
Deadwood looks like a very interesting place and I know I'd be expecting all the womenfolk to be like Calamity Jane!!
Glad you posted again!
Christine

Sunny Simple Life said...

Wow you guys are having such good weather. You could be in blowing snow. What a great trip!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Glad to see you back! Great photos. I really like the one of the hotel. Interesting building!

Anonymous said...

thankyou Linda for sharing your wonderful pics.xx

Michelle said...

I remember being there as a kid. Nice shots.

Siobhán said...

Interesting pictures of the town! What did you decide to do about your photos? I had a lot of my photos on Flickr so haven't had the 'you're at your limit' notice yet, but I also just spent days transferring my stitching photos from webshots to photobucket. I know I could upload to photobucket and then to the blog but oy--what a pain. In the end, if I'm going to have to pay, I wish I'd have just paid for Flickr's membership and been done with the hassle.

Lottie said...

Thanks for sharing Deadwood. I did not know about it. Thank you for sharing your photos!