Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Badlands...

 We woke up early in the morning...before dawn to get started on the next part of our journey...it was going to be a long drive and we had a few places we wanted to see on the way...The Badlands were the first stop...
 My pictures don't do this place justice...it's incredible! It sort of reminds me of southern Utah...only much larger...can you see all the layers of rock that was formed over millions of years...amazing!
 It almost doesn't look real it so fantastic...what an barren yet such a beautiful place...all the prairie grass had turned golden...it made it that much prettier to me....
 It's hard to think of all the wind and rain making these beautiful formations...

 We met some friends along the way...these guys were too busy eating lunch...we were looking for bison...
 No bison here...just a cute little cottontail eating breakfast...she didn't seem to mind that I was right there...
 We signed in at the trail head...

 Everyone was wondering what we were doing way out here...
 We were hoping we wouldn't see any of these...Don assured me it was much too cold...it was about 42 degrees while we were out hiking...nice and brisk!
 I could stare at this scenery forever!
 We had a friend come to greet us...Hi there!
 His friends were too busy eating to stop and say Hi...
 The prairie dogs stopped working to check us out...
 These are called the Yellow Mounds...gee... I wonder where they got the name...so original!!
We hated leaving this place....but we were getting hungry and there was so much more to see...
Until next time...enjoy your day!!!

10 comments:

Olive said...

Just beautiful. Likely a place I will never see.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

So gorgeous! I'm loving all the critter friends you made along the way :)

Beverly said...

Such an amazing part of the country in a barren sort of way. Your pictures are wonderful. You were either have a really strong lens or you were closer to those animal than I would dare to be...well except the bunny maybe.
Thanks for sharing a part of our USA with us.

Chookyblue...... said...

I have been enjoying your photos.....would love to go here.....

Anonymous said...

wow Linda more beautiful pics,you are both getting to see some wonderful places.xx

Christine said...

I can't tell you how much i am loving your trip also. To see all these unusual places is fantastic!
Thanks again for sharing!
Christine

Siobhán said...

Wow!! What a gorgeous place. Thanks so much for sharing the pics! I'm enjoying the armchair traveling, as I keep saying. ;)

Traci said...

Wow!! What amazing pictures!

Sue said...

I am so glad to see your pictures. This is a place my husband wants to go and truthfully, I didn't really know anything about it. It looks gorgeous, although I think the rattlesnake sign would have kept me very near the car. The older I get, the more I appreciate nature. This looks fantastic.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Such a pleasure to see your photos. I felt like I was right there. Love all of the animals.