Friday, November 2, 2012

A lunch break on the Missouri River...

 When we left Mitchell...we headed west...it was a pretty day...perhaps one of the warmest on our journey...
 More golden colored fields...not yet plowed under...
 We arrived in Chamberlain...it sits on the Missouri River...we stopped at a visitor center high on the hill above the town...
 There was a trail next to the center and we decided we would take a little hike to see if we could get some good views of the river...



 There were lots of bushes with these berries on them...not sure what they were...but they were a pretty ice blue...

 Not sure what I expected...but the river was a lot bigger than I expected. They said it was very low, however, because of the drought. Being from Southern California...bodies of water fascinate me...especially rivers...we don't have those here!
 Chamberlain was a pretty town from up on the trail...

 We stopped across the river at Al's Oasis...quite an adventure...
 There were all sorts of shops and a restaurant and hotel here...
 This is another thing I was surprised at...bullets in the grocery store...yes you heard me...the grocery store...and so many! They sell bullets here...but behind the counter under lock and key...not the grocery store...right next to the produce...well...if you call it produce...more like apples and potatoes...that's another thing that surprised me about South Dakota...but that's a whole different story!
We headed off down the road...next stop...Pierre...the state capital...
Until next time...enjoy the day!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Linda such amazing views you have taken great pics,thankyou for the tour.xx

Christine said...

More great photos! Yay! I see another water tower!
Thanks for sharing and enjoy the journey,
Christine

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Wow, cool photos! The stores look really neat.

Lottie said...

The photos are great! I'm so glad I found your blog. Love the pictures of the bridge!

Siobhán said...

Bullets in the grocery store???? Wow!! I am loving these photos--I've never been to South Dakota so I'm enjoying being an armchair traveler.