Saturday, November 10, 2012

Custer State Park...

 The next stop on our journey is Custer State Park...it is a vast place with many lakes, streams and rivers...it reminds me a little of  the mountains at home...since we were late in the season...there weren't very many people there...a good thing!
 But we weren't lonely...we met lots of friends on the way around the 72 miles long loop we decided to take...

 It seemed like everyone was there to greet us....but we were on a search for bison...there is a very large wild herd in this state park...they had to be around here somewhere...that's a lot of bison!
 We drove and drove and walked a little too...where could they be...

 These guys didn't care to share any information with us...but if you look closely...could that be bison poo??
 The prong horn were everywhere....happy to pose for us...but very tight lipped when we asked where the bison were...

 We couldn't spot them anywhere...
 And then out in a field...I saw 2 of them grazing...where were all the rest...as far as we knew...bison stay together in a herd...hmmm...
 To our dismay...we found that just a few weeks earlier...they had been rounded up...cowboy style...to be vaccinated and tested for any problems...they were in a fenced area...we couldn't see them up close...I was bummed...all this searching to find bison in the wild and they were in a coral area...
 We drove on...had to stop for a few pedestrians...
 We were amazed at how much wild life we saw along the drive...
 Then...we drove around a blind corner...and there he was... magnificent!!!
 Even though we were in a pretty big SUV...I was a bit nervous to actually get this close...Don rolled down his window and took a few pictures...no telling how this one got away from the others...but he was not a bit concerned about us being there...he didn't even look up...
 He just kept grazing...I didn't want to go...but it was getting late and I had seen a bison up close...and a herd from a distance...so I was very happy!!
We saw lots of incredible sights there in Cuter State Park...we took so many pictures...I can only show you a few...I think Western South Dakota has been my favorite spot so far...it reminds me of home...yet it is still wild and free and not so many people...I could live right here I think...if only...
Until next time...enjoy your day!!!

11 comments:

Lottie said...

Wow Linda! That bison was incredible! I am so enjoying your travels via your blog. Beautiful pictures!

Olive said...

Linda, that was truly a bison close up. The rest of the animals were beautiful too. Olive

Ranae said...

Lovely photo's

Sharon said...

Great photos!!! I love them all. We have so many deer here right in our front yard and I think they are so pretty.
Thanks for taking us along.

Beverly said...

Beautiful country. I am amazed at how close you get to the wildlife.
That is one huge Bison. Glad you finally found them and could get such a good picture of at least one.
Makes me want to go on the road and see some of the USA...away from traffic and crowds of people.

Anonymous said...

wow Linda nature at its best,lovely pics,thankyou for sharing.xx

Siobhán said...

Great photos!! I was amazed when we visited Colorado to see bison along the edges of one of the highways, grazing in a field. Amazing!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Amazing photos! I've never seen a bison up close before so I would have been thrilled!

Traci said...

The pic of the bison is AMAZING!! It would've made me nervous too. When we were at Zion Nat'l Park it was amazing to see how the deer & sheep were so oblivious to all of the people around.

koralee said...

Wow...what a lovely spot!!! Those Bison are huge...thank you for sharing. xo

deb said...

awesome pictures!!!!