Thursday, November 15, 2012

Devil's Tower...Wyoming...

 I don't think I mentioned this before...but while we were in Rapid City we stayed at a very nice Howard Johnsons...they had a social every evening with popcorn and drinks...there we met a really nice couple from Alberta, Canada...we exchanged stories about our trip...and we found out about a place we didn't know was so close...so the next morning...we set out to Wyoming and Devil"s Tower...
As the days went by on the trip...it was getting colder each day...it rained a bit on the drive...but that didn't dampen our spirits...there was even talk of snow soon!
As we crossed the border...we thought we'd better check in at the visitor center...and see what lie ahead...
We had a little fun while we were there...
Looked around and got some information about Devil's Tower...we found out that there are 22 Indian folk tales about how this place came to be...
Wyoming was a beautiful place...rolling hills...
rambling streams...
rugged cliffs...
But wait...we are getting close...
Off in the distance...can you see what I saw!
The locals said we were on the right road...
Oh my! It was like nothing I ever saw before...
It was like a huge piece of rock just shot up out of the ground!
The truth is...the rock there froze millions of years ago...and the ground around it eroded over time and fell away...I can't explain how I felt at that moment...so small...so amazed at the wonders of our earth...
There is a 3 mile trail that goes all around, but it had been raining...we met a couple who had gone up and got soaked...the threat of rain was still there...so we decided to just take a few trails right nearby...On nice days...mountain climbers can be found here...that must be a thrill!
This was a really pretty place...I found that I like Wyoming a lot!
The area all around was wooded...there were pine trees everywhere...and a stream running too.
We left reluctantly...another beautiful spot...another wonderful adventure...our next stop would be Deadwood...for lunch and possibly another adventure!
Until next time...enjoy your day!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an amazing place ,thankyou for sharing.xx

Christine said...

How extraordinary! You have definitely seen a lot of breath taking wonders!
Best wishes
Christine

Traci said...

How pretty! I have a friend that moved to Wyoming last year. They've been exploring since they got there. I'll have to see if she knows about this place.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful! I love that you take us along with you on your journeys! Looks like you guys had a great time. Hope your weekend is just as nice : )

oldgreymare said...

Gorgeous! Breathtaking :D

Siobhán said...

Oh, how neat! I've always wanted to go to Wyoming--it seems so serene and peaceful there. Deadwood--I can't wait!