Saturday, July 9, 2011

Making Apple Crisp...

What do you do when you have more apples than you know what to do with...well...you give tons away...to everyone you can think of...and then you start baking...today we made apple crisp...lots of apple crisp. Most of it goes in the freezer to enjoy later...a couple get baked...a small one for Don and me to enjoy...and some to bring to the boys tomorrow when we drive down to San Diego for a visit...So you're ready to make it?? Here goes...
First the ingredients...this will make an 8 x8 pan...I double this for a bigger pan...
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
cinnamon
brown sugar
cinnamon-sugar
1/3 cup butter...I always use real butter
5-6 cups cored peeled apples

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees...I spray the pan with Pam cooking spray...
Now let's make the topping...combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and egg in a bowl...Use a fork and a kind of chopping motion to mix . Don't beat too hard or you'll get one big lump, instead of a bunch of little coarse crumbs...which is what you want...set this aside...
Peel and core the apples...Don is always the apple corer peeler guy...we have this handy apple tool...we got this one from Pampered Chef...it is our second one...the first one died after about 20 years of peeling...did I mention...we have tons of apples...every year!
The next step is one that I think is very important...and no recipe book will include this...it's something I do because we like lots of tasty cinnamon...I layer the apples...and sprinkle each layer with cinnamon and brown sugar...this takes a bit of practice to get it the way you like it...that's why I didn't give measurements for those ingredients...I don't measure...just sprinkle...
Next you put the topping over the apples...
Drizzle the butter over the topping...
Sprinkle with sugar cinnamon mixture...
Bake 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the apples are bubbling...
Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream...and Enjoy!!!
Enjoy your day, my friends!!

8 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

oh yum..........wonder if I have any apples.......

Simple Home said...

I wish I lived close by. Apple Crisp is a favorite around here. I've never thought to freeze it though, or layer the cinnamon and brown sugar. Both are great ideas.
I love my apple peeler. I've had mine for a few years now, and I don't know how I ever got by without it :)
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Blessings,
Marcia

Yvette said...

I'm drooling.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This looks so good...I love Apple Crisp, especially with a dallop of whipped cream! I have always wanted an apple peeler, it would be so handy. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

deb said...

I always look foward to your apple crisp...no one does it like you!!!!!

Michelle said...

Looks good!

Annette said...

My mouth is watering...apple crisp is my all time favorite dessert!

Holly said...

I've been a very very bad blog friend and haven't been reading blogs lately. Just finally got around to reading this and it sure looks good! Can't beat apples and cinnamon!