Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's about time...


Our birch trees are finally starting to look like they are supposed to this time of year...does that mean the chilly weather will last? Who knows...but I am enjoying it right now!


These are two of the birches in our yard...we have 6 altogether. I don't think the pictures do them justice. They are so bright! They are especially pretty right about this time of day...when the sun is going down, but not quite dark. They seem to glow. I also love the white trunks.


Now on a completely different topic...here is a picture of two birds in my neighbor's tree. I have been hearing them for a couple of weeks in the front yard...every morning...they have been feasting on the seeds in the pods on our magnolia tree. Since that tree is so big and thick...I can only get a glimpse at part of them. They are very shy birds...with a very distinct call. I have never seen them before and I have no idea what kind of birds they are. I know the picture isn't very big, but they are way, way up on the top of a very tall tree...so it's the best picture I could get. The only yellow birds I have ever seen in my neck of the woods are hooded orioles and those are long gone, and of course don't look like these. The female is a lot smaller and more brownish, but still has some yellow. Have you ever seen these birds before? I have looked in my bird book and haven't found them yet. I will keep looking...
I did a bit of gardening today...not much...it has been chilly and windy here the last week or so. I have been trying to trim down a lot of shrubs for winter. If I don't get it done now...they will be way too big come spring. When I was outside, it was 60 degrees and that's sweatshirt weather for me...especially in the wind!
I have been doing a lot of sewing this week...thanks to my wonderful BIL...I have an order of 8 tote bags to finish! Thanks Joe!!
That's all for today!! Enjoy your evening!!

8 comments:

Lori E said...

I don't know what they are but they sure are pretty.

Linda said...

I finally found these birds in my book...they are Cassin's Kingbird. Pretty excited...I have never seen them before!!

deb said...

wow...are they native to this area???? only yellow birds I ever get are house finches....
love the birches.....

Kris said...

I was going to say warblers. And yes, it is so pretty now with the leaves all shimmering in the sun with their golds and browns!! Love it!

Cyndi said...

Hi Linda! I have been searching my bird book, too, and I would have sworn that it was some type of warbler. (Shows how much I know! LOL!!) I have to go look up Cassin's Kingbird...I think they are some type of flycatcher? Anyway, it is beautiful!

And congratulations on getting so many tote orders...you go, girl! :o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

LindyLouMac said...

I love silver birch we do not seem them often where we live. Do you get chaffinch in your part of the world, too far away for me to see clearly but they might be. Try a google search.
I certainly wish it was sweatshirt rather than thermals weather :)

Marina Capano said...

Hi! nice trip!

wonderful pics!

xoxo

Michelle said...

Lovely pics of the trees. Didn't know what type of bird that was, but glad to see you found out. Congrats on the tote orders.