Friday, June 3, 2011

I love the morning...

Cool June mornings have to be one of my favorite times...this morning was one of those perfect mornings...cool enough...but the sun shining warm enough to wear shorts out for my morning walk. After I got home I went out to the back yard to feed the birds and clean out the hummingbird and oriole feeders and refill them. While outside I take in the wonder of our back yard...it is so lovely this time of year...it is my refuge.

The flowers are blooming...the birds are singing and yesterday I even saw a squirrel! That's unusual for here...because the squirrels never venture into my yard...we live near a dry river bed...5 houses away in fact, and the squirrels and bunnies live there...oh...they go and cross the road to the houses along the gully...as we call it...but never this far in...I guess he thought he could hang out here and eat some bird seed!


The bees are busy right now too...they are everywhere! The funny thing is...I'm allergic to bee stings...but I am not afraid...I have only been stung once here in my yard and I was standing on my porch when it happened...not trimming and gardening...it must have been an angry bee!


The little Japanese Maple is coming around...this poor thing was not planted in the right spot when we first got her...so Don and my older son, Joseph, moved her last Fall...we were worried...but she seems to be doing fine now loving this filtered light in the morning and deep shade in the afternoon.



These are some new beauties I brought home from my trip to Rogers Gardens...Painted Tongue...the name isn't very nice...but they are so pretty and bright...



I had to get a yellow one too!




I don't remember the name of this plant...it's in a pot in the back...and so many little delicate flowers on it...




These lovelies are new too...Begonias...I never had them before...but these were so sweet and they look like little rose blooms...and the colors are so soft...they will spread nicely in the area I planted them...



More Begonias...just a softer pink...



Not everything in my yard is for show...we grow food too...like peaches...


Apples...



Tomatoes...and cucumbers, peppers, lettuce...many others too...



The hostas are getting big...this is the 3rd Spring for most of them...



They seem to like the area west of the apple tree...they get lots of wonderful shade there...



I have been busy sewing too...I think the outside inspires my choice of fabric sometimes...I loved this fabric and thought it was perfect for a wee ones backpack...



And of course...I had to design a wool applique for the pocket...I think this little dragonfly is quite cheerful...I added this bag to my Etsy shop...I hope someone will like it enough to take it home...



And now for the most beautiful flower in my garden...Miss Stella! That smile gets me every time!! She was fascinated with the little squeegee broom on the back porch...it kept her busy for quite a while...


Now I must get back to work...I have been inspired by something else in the garden...so I need to get busy and finish it!


Enjoy the day, my friends! I hope you find inspiration in the little things too!

































7 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

She is a picture of summer happiness! I love your beautiful flowers...and the cute bag you made! I'm off to see your Etsy shop! Hugs! ♥

Honey at 2805 said...

The sweetes flower is the one with the big smile on her face!

Holly said...

You have been busy! Everything looks so pretty and green there. We're at the point here in Phoenix where it's heating up (100) and things are already going brown. Time to buy more vincas.

Angela said...

Hi Linda! As always, your pictures are gorgeous! I love those begonias! They are so lovely. I am positive someone will snatch that backpack up quick! It is super cute...as is Stella. Have a wonderful weekend!
Angela

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Linda, Stella (love her name!) is ADORABLE!!!!! Yes, I would have to agree that she is the prettiest little beauty in your garden, however your flowers are fabulous! Begonias DO look like little roses. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. You made me giggle! LOVE your bags, too. You are soooooooooooooo talented!!!

xxoo
Becky

Simple Home said...

Miss Stella is adorable, and your garden is blooming beautifully. I haven't started wearing shorts yet. It's been cool here most of the week, but today was a bit warmer. I actually had a short sleeved shirt on. Is this really the desert?
It's usually hot by now.
Enjoy your weekend!
Blessings,
Marcia

Traci said...

It's so funny how different the weather is in different parts of the country. At 7:00 am when I left for work it was already 80 degrees & really humid! We're finally getting some rain too! Yesterday, morning when we were going to Mass a squirrel was using our pool as a water fountain. They're all over the place. I LOVE the painted tongue. Is it a lily?