Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Finally...still air for a change...

 Well the wind is finally gone...for now...and I was able to garden a bit this past week...I had to do a lot of clean up first...that wind blew all sorts of items into the yard...my Camellias are blooming...  
The flowers on this one are so heavy...they sort of hang there...
 It got a little beat up by all the wind...but it will be fine...
 This is in my back yard looking South...its a partly cloudy day...cooler than days past...thank goodness! So many people are thrilled with Summer weather in January...but not me! I always look forward to cooler temps!
 If you look closely...you can see something blew into my tree...this was a paper lantern we couldn't reach...there were all sorts of items hanging in the trees...mostly plastic bags...which is one reason I wish people would use cloth bags...they get stuck everywhere!
 My lettuce is in a wind protected area of the yard...I have a ton of romaine and red leaf lettuce...we eat salads almost every day and its nice to just go out and pick what you need for your meal...
 Lots blooming in the yard too...
 Gerber daisies got really wind blown...but a few still look OK...
 They'll be fine...
 Primrose are so close to the ground that they seem to do fine...these are the first ones blooming...although I did notice a few purple ones on the side yard just coming back with one flower and tons of buds...they are such a cheery flower!
 Of course violas are growing everywhere...I scatter seeds I collect and then the wind blows seeds everywhere too!
 I have a lot of stock flowers too...
 And here's my fail for the season...isn't this the most pathetic broccoli ever! I think I have about 8 plants and maybe enough for one meal! Just sad...I don't know why they didn't grow...I have grown them in the past...maybe the weird weather...who knows? The onions I planted at the same time are doing fine...at least what I can see of them...hopefully I will have plenty of red onions this Summer...
 I made a couple little coin zipper bags...
These were from a little tiny charm pack of Sweetwater's Road 15...the squares are 2 inches...the fabric reminded me of our trip to the mid-west...all the farms with trees surrounding them...

This morning I had school...my keyboarding class...my attempt at gaining some speed...I never use my pinky fingers when I type...so its hard for me! 

I am back at making more doll carriers too...I can't seem to keep them in my shop...which is a good thing! I was going to concentrate on making some more doll clothes...those have nearly sold out too...so needless to say...I will be busy sewing all week...except for Thursday...then I am going to The Road to California Quilt Show! Can't wait! I love seeing all the beautiful quilts and dreaming of one day making something bigger than a table runner! I hope to find some patterns I can accomplish...

Until next time....enjoy your day!!!

8 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Linda! Thanks for sharing so much vibrant color from your beautiful garden!
I needed that as we've had heavy rain and just dark dull weather.
Love those little pouches with the wool applique.

happy stitching!

Michelle said...

Wonderful to see the green and flowers!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your flowers all look so pretty! The lettuce looks good too. I wish we cold see some color around here. Even seeing the sun would bring some color.

Anonymous said...

Fresh lettuce for a salad would be delicious! Too bad about the strong wind blowing trash into your yard/trees. I once ran over a plastic grocery bag with my car and he melted to the exhaust and smelled terrible until it finally burned off!
Your zipper bags are cute as can be. Enjoy your time sewing.

Kris said...

The wind sure made a mess of things here too. I spent all day outside working. I am so sore now that I can barely move!! Your yard pics are so pretty!
xo Kris

Our Neck of the Woods said...

All the flowers are so beautiful! Especially the camellias. And your lettuce looks awesome! I bet it is so crunchy and delicious. When we grow lettuce in the spring we eat salads all the time.

Sue said...

It is such a breath of fresh air to visit your blog and see the beautiful colors and flowers...we are snowing once again and the cold is simply brutal this winter here. Your lettuce looks wonderful!

Judy S. said...

Great garden photos, Linda. Your garden is months ahead of ours, that's for sure. My sis is in San Bernardino at the moment, and I think she said is going to a quilt show somewhere. Do you know of it? Happy sewing, looks like some fun projects.