Monday, July 1, 2013

Where does the time go.....

 I can't believe its already July 1 today...the time just seems to fly by. I thought when Don retired last year that we would have so much time to do things...like visit all the museums and botanical gardens in our area...nope! Lately we have just been working in the yard...it keeps us so busy...and our little business has been taking off...we have a craft show in 2 weeks and the flea market 3 weeks later...so that takes up a lot of time too...here is this morning's harvest...that is my biggest bowl...and I filled up nicely...we don't have a huge garden...but more than enough for us, our neighbors and our kids...
 Now apples...that's a whole other subject...there's a ton of them...we filled up several big banana boxes and Don is taking them to the food bank in the area...they are always so happy to get anything...so remember...if you have fruit trees that just produce like crazy...the food banks and homeless shelters would love some! I have given everyone who wants them a ton...made a bunch of crisps and frozen them...there is still a ton up in the tree...have I told you how big our apple tree is...yes I have...its crazy full of fruit too!
 Don won today for the biggest apple today...we always try and see who can find the biggest one. Have I told you how much I believe that farm workers are under paid...they deserve about $50 and hour...its hard work!! After just a bit of time picking fruit...I end up with scratches and bumps and bruises everywhere! Today...a giant apple fell from way up and landed right on the top of my head! Ouch!!
 Yesterday...we took a day and went down to San Diego to see the kids...my guys are not the best at posing...so I do my best! We walked around downtown...the Gas Lamp area...down by the water too. We went to a nice Irish Pub...a little saloon...had nachos there...and a nice place down by the water for pizza and  guacamole and Terra chips...we were just in the mood for snacking...and the boys wanted to bar hop!
 Right near where the Midway is....there is this interesting art piece...I guess that's what you call it...Don and Anna were nice enough to pose under it for me...
 It looks like a big tree was sliced in half and hung up there...I liked it! It was actually several different limbs hooked together to look like one big tree...
 Here's a big aircraft carrier across the harbor...not sure which one...
 Coronado Island across the bay...now that's pretty island...too crowded over there on a Sunday though...never any parking...so its best to go during the week...
 We saw lots of ducks with their babies...I thought this was so cute of the Mom showing the baby how to bathe...
 Don and I have a small peach tree...with a ton of peaches...the problem with peaches in my area...is that they all get ripe at once! So we picked them all! We peeled and sliced up about 40 cups of peaches...froze most...brought a bunch of frozen bags to the kids...stuck the rest in the freezer...they will make nice cobblers later...this is what was left...we laid them out...because putting them in bowls turns out badly sometimes...the bottom ones get hot and...Yuck! I think it makes a pretty table runner!
 I have been busy making things for my shop too...



 Did I mention the heat... its HOT! Yesterday I was glad we were in San Diego...it was 73 there...here 112!! Yes you heard me...a little heat wave going on...now I can tolerate the heat pretty well...I guess I'm used to it...100-103...doesn't bother me that much...but when it lasts as long as it has been...it begins to wear me down! We get up much earlier...get our walk in...and do most of our outside chores early...but it is still in the 90's by 9 am! I did hear there's a cool down on the way...only supposed to be 99 by tomorrow...
Until next time...stay cool...and enjoy the day!!!

6 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

You have so much fruit! Wow! I guess your apple tree is huge haha. So nice of you to take it to the food pantry. I'm sure they appreciate it!

It is hot where you are! Goodness gracious. I hope you get a break soon!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Yummy fruit! I sure love the birdie tote.

Traci said...

I went to San Diego for the first time a few years ago & it was so pretty! I really liked it.

Kris said...

Wowie..your yard is producing some great stuff too!!!!!
Those apples are awesome!!
xo Kris

Judy S. said...

Lucky you with all that fruit, but I do appreciate how much work dealing with it is! Have you ever tried freezing peaches in orange juice? I do that every year as a special treat on Christmas morning. Nice photos of San Diego. We tried to go downtown but it was crazy busy. They sure have fixed it up from when we lived there in the sixties and seventies!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Wow Linda!
those are some amazing produce you grew there.
And what a nice trip to San Diego.
You really are getting some hot weather...my son in Phoenix is having the same thing.
We've been beautiful..highs in the low 80's. I guess it's finally our turn after months of not good weather.
Your bags you made are just gorgeous!
Happy 4th,
Cindy