Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Don made me more good things...

 Spring is full speed ahead in my neck of the woods...time for more planting of veggies...we have a gopher problem in our yard...we live close to a huge wide area that is part river bed...lots of sand and all kinds of critters...this time of year...they seem to start making their way closer...I don't mind the raccoons and squirrels...bunnies and gophers...I'm not fond of...don't get me wrong...bunnies are cute until they eat up all your hard work...and gophers...they don't even have the cute thing going for them! So Don built this for some veggies...see...chicken wire on the bottom will hopefully keep them out. We have seen them literally suck young green bean plants down...just like the cartoons!
 This one is 3x3...just the right size for this area...we have another area going strong already...but it is pretty full...so we needed this...
 And here's another one drying...Don put stain and water sealant on it...
 Oh dear...my pictures are all out of order again...I swear I don't know why that happens...this is society garlic...an ornamental...it smells just like garlic...gophers don't like garlic and this will stay all year long...
 Now back to the planter...I planted radish seeds and a sunshine yellow tomato and squash in here...
 This is making me crazy with the pictures...back to the garlic... I dug it up from another area in the front and split it into 6 plants...I sure hope this works! We also bought these vibrating noise makers that are supposed to make the gophers stay away...you can't hear them unless you're really close...like when I'm weeding...
 More garlic...there's also a little spinner thing we put in a wine bottle that we buried...the vibration is supposed to keep them away...didn't really work so well...
 I do like these visitors...they are here year round and are very curious...and not afraid at all...they just move to fast to get good pictures!
 More mixed up pictures...this is a bag I finished for a client to give to her daughter for Eater instead of a basket...
 Back to the yard...you're probably getting dizzy with my mixed up pictures...I know I am...I was going to delete and start over...but what the heck...its interesting this way!
Here's a view of part of the back...a few people mentioned that I don't show large shots of my yard...I guess I like taking closeups...you can see where we put the bigger box...the other one is on the very right with the green wire trellis...it is full of cucumber seeds now...
 And...back to the bag...craziness here today...this fabric is so cute...I couldn't resist...I know the girl who is getting this very well...she loves Hello Kitty...
 I made a little pin for it too..it can be removed...
I am still making doll carriers like crazy...I have a couple more orders for custom sizes...these are fun to make! I am in the middle of trying out a design for a new style back pack...I actually bought a pattern last week...hate the directions...and some of the design...so I'm coming up with my own...its easier that way...I work from head to hands...so patterns sometimes just slow me down.
I hope all who are in the path of all the storms are safe...its hard for me to grasp all the weather that goes on everywhere else...we have such a mild climate here...people always ask about earthquakes here...but they are so rare...the last big one that I remember doing damage has to have been over 15 years ago...and not near here...so I'll take my chances with the ground moving every once in a while over tornadoes and hurricanes and blizzards...I'm a California native and I don't think I could deal well with that stuff...anyway...stay safe and warm...you are in my prayers...
Until next time...enjoy the day!!!

11 comments:

mountain mama said...

he's a handy guy to have around! the last bag is adorable!! :)

Kris said...

Oh hooray for the garden boxes! Don is such a handy guy! Love the bags! Love em'!!
xo Kris

Holly said...

What a great idea about the wire in the garden boxes. We're dealing with pests in our garden too right now. Love that pic of your yard, looks sooo pretty.

Anonymous said...

what a good man your hubby is Linda and love the bag you made and my you have a beautiful back yard.xx

Anonymous said...

It looks like spring has arrived where you live. It's nice to have a handyman around the house!

Your flowers are beautiful!

Traci said...

Your yard is so pretty! I'm really ready to start planting but it was 34 last night so I guess I'll be holding off another couple of weeks. Our weather is always crazy but this is getting ridiculous! I'm ready for my hummingbirds to come back!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

The planter looks great! I love the stain color and I bet the wire on the bottom will really keep pests away! Your yard looks so great. Just bursting with life! I can't wait until mine looks like that :)

Sue said...

Ooo...more of your pictures to show my husband! We don't have gophers, but we certainly have rabbit issues.

The bag instead of basket was a great idea, something she can use after Easter!

Judy S. said...

I hope they work for you. We have bunnies and moles here and our n'bor has been plagued by a mountain beaver. I guess they have huge appetites and can climb. I love that daffodils are not a favored rabbit or deer food. To me they mean spring! Yay!

Andrea said...

I am not familiar how gophers look like, but i love the idea of those garlic-like plants as repellants. I smiled when you say sorry for the pictures of your projects aside from gardening, cute!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!! I'm laughing at you and your pictures!!!
I love your backyard. I should have come back there and looked when we were dropping you off after Road. Darn it!! Debbie always tells me how pretty it is. Next time I want a tour.