Sunday, May 22, 2011

My morning ritual...

Anyone who knows me at all...knows I am an animal lover...I love them all...especially birds! They are so charming and have the most wonderful personalities...every morning I feed the birds who visit our back yard each day...this morning...I was able to snap a few pictures of some of those who share our yard with me...I like that they are comfortable enough to call our back yard their home...
We have tons of finches...and I do mean tons...one day my older son came home from college and looked out the window and said..."Mom, do you know you have all the birds in San Bernardino in our back yard"...I thought about it...and yes...there are a lot out there...sometimes when I look at the ground under the seed feeder...the ground looks as though it is moving...with all the brown backs eating! This is where the birds like to hang out in the Spring...it is an oriole feeder...sort of a one stop sweet shop for birds. There is sugar water to drink...grape jelly...and an orange with the top sliced off...Yum!



We get a lot of hummers too...we have just one hummingbird feeder...but we have many autumn sage planted all around the yard...they love that...lavender too...but you can always find them around the feeders. My pictures aren't too great of them...they just move too fast!



We have a pair of Mourning Doves as well in the yard...they are so funny! This guy was just taking a stroll up and down the wall in the back...I think all the birds are enjoying that new wall...They walk up and down all day....



Here's one of our favorites this time of year...this is Cal! He is a Hooded Oriole...Don named him...we name several of our birds...funny...I called them our birds...I think of them that way sometimes...but these guys belong to no one...and everyone...anyway...Cal is shy...he is a breeding adult...and even though he has his own feeder...he seems to like the hummingbird feeder....I think he doesn't like all those little finches who are there most of the day...


Cal has a mate...Mrs. Cal...she wasn't here this morning...she was probably with their nest. They will have some babies soon...I can't wait to see them here! They don't nest in our yard...they prefer to nest in palm trees...we have some nice big ones around here...they nest in those.



There are several of these guys that come to visit...they are all Cals...we can see little differences in them all...the older they get...the darker the yellow is...some are almost orange. They feed at our yard all Spring and most of the Summer...then they're off...we look forward to their time with us...they are pretty used to me by now...but for some reason they don't like my camera...today I got lucky!

We have several other varieties of birds that live in the yard too...but today they were all camera shy...Brownie...the little Cow Bird that calls our yard home doesn't like the camera either...so he hid...and we have plenty of scrub jays...they have their own feeder full of peanuts...and a pair of mocking birds...they don't eat too much from me...just bugs...but I have found that they like raisins, strawberries, and oranges...so I put those out too.


Enjoy the day, my friends...I hope you can find some joy in your own yard today as well!!












15 comments:

Loris said...

Such sweet friends :-)

Terry said...

Thanks for sharing your birds! I love that we have so many feathered friends sharing our yard too! :0)

Gloria said...

Wow, those orioles are beautiful birds, what a gorgeous color! I have doves here too, and I think they are funny as well -- they walk around like they own the place! But if you open the door, quietly, they slowly, slowly start to walk away, then FLY! LOL! Thanks for visiting me, and I am your newest follower! ;)
Best,
Gloria

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi Linda, what wonderful pictures you took of your visitors. I've been trying like crazy just to get a picture of the cardinals that visit each morning, they are incredibly camera shy, each time I grab it they take off. Yes, darling we do have a Huge yard, 22 acres in the middle of town. Lots to take care of and room to ride the mule around in. I hope you're having a terrific Sunday. hugs ~lynne~

eileeninmd said...

You do have great birds in your yard. I love the sweet hummes and the Hooded Oriole is wonderful. Great photos.

kathy b said...

You have such a menagerie. I love that your husband names them. Cal is cute. Hmmm I may have to add raisins to our mix....

very lovely post

Holly said...

I have become such a bird lover too. I can sit for hours and watch them all. It's just so peaceful. I think it's impossible to watch birds and be angry at the same time.

Judy S. said...

That oriole is amazing! I've never seen one like that. We get house finches, towhees, and juncoes mostly. I never thought about putting out fruit..... Great photos, thanks!

Holly said...

So, I was inspired by you. I put out a small plate with stawberries, oranges and popcorn. Within about 5 mintures, ants were crawling all over the thing. Gross!

La said...

When is the best time to see the hummingbirds? I have a feeder and the nectar is going down, but I have yet to see a hummingbird around the feeder.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Linda,
Thank you so much for visiting me at Home is Where the Heart is, its a pleasure meeting you!
I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and have become your newest follower.
I also love hummingbirds, your purses are lovely and very creative. I will be back to visit.
Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

Arabella said...

What a delightful way to start your day - I love to watch my bird friends too. Take care! :O)

Kris said...

Oh LInda...what great shots of our feathered friends. I am known here as the bird nerd. Love my orioles the best I think!!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love to see all the birds in our feeders but I have never seen a hooded oriole! What a beautiful bird! It's so hard for me to get good photos! ♥

Traci said...

Since you read my blog you know my thoughts on birds. They could easily change my opinion of them if they'd just behave & stop destroying & pooping on things. So, they like grape jelly? I've never heard of that!!